Reading time 2 minutes
Healthy soil makes for a happy planet. Photo courtesy of Field Culture Compost
Did you know that Birmingham-based Field Culture Compost works with local restaurants to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfill? Read on to learn more about which restaurants around Birmingham compost.
1. Royal Cup of coffee and tea
Bham runs on coffee! Photo via Royal Cup on Facebook
Royal Cup is reducing its waste by removing unwanted coffee beans from Birmingham landfills. Do not miss the organic coffee and the unique tea blends.
2. Harvesting the root ferments
Try the butterfly in a lavender field kombucha from Harvest Roots Ferments. Photo via Caroline Barr for Bham Now
Trendy AND sustainable? The freshest kombucha teas can be found at Harvest Roots. They also partner with Field Culture Compost which is another great reason to support this local business.
- Harvesting root ferments: Website | Facebook | Instagram
- hours: Thursday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. | Friday-Saturday 10 am-6pm
- Address: 4420 4th Ave S Suite B, Birmingham, AL
3. The essentials
Pastries are essential, as is composting. Photo by Jacob Blankenship for Bham Now
Do you love brunch and are you environmentally conscious? The Essential is the newest member of the compost coalition. Check out their Instagram to sign up for their sweepstakes, which ends on Friday 3rd September.
- The essential: Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Hours: Wednesday-Friday 11 am-10pm | Saturday 9 am-2pm; 5 pm-10pm | Sunday 9 am-2pm
- Address: 2018 Morris Ave, Birmingham, AL
4. Bottega Cafe
We love the Bottega Burnt Honey Cake. Photo via Bham Now
Bottega Cafe helps Field Culture Compost achieve its goal of reducing waste. Don’t sleep on the sublime Italian cuisine that Bottega offers. Bon Appetit!
5. Meredith Food Studios
The cycle of composting. Photo via Field Culture Compost
Meredith test kitchen was one of the first to contact Field Culture Compost when they started their composting program. You can find all of their delicious food pictures in various Birmingham magazines.
- Meredith Food Studios: Website | Instagram
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Address: 4100 Old Montgomery Highway, Birmingham, AL
6. Nourish food
The Nourish team packs meals: Tiffany Davis (co-founder of Nourish Foods). Photo via Matthew Niblett for Bham Now
Who doesn’t want their food delivered right to their door? Nourish Foods cook and deliver the food right to your door.
Fun fact: they are re-using the cooler bags that their customers are returning. Now they are composting with Field Culture Compost.
7. Jenis delicious ice cream
Jeni’s knows the importance of compost. Photo via Bham Now
We think it’s pretty cool that Jeni composts with Field Culture Compost. Also check out their vegan ice cream flavors. Delicious!
- Jeni’s wonderful ice cream: Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Hours: Sunday-Saturday 8 am-5pm
- Address: Pepper place; 219 29th St S, Birmingham, AL
8. At Fonfon Bham
Pick-up from the roadside at Chez Fonfon. Photo via Bham Now
In addition to being home to award-winning burgers, Chez Fonfon is also composted. Thank you, Mulch, Fonfon.
- At Fonfon: Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Hours: Tuesday-Friday 11 am-9pm | Saturday 4-9 p.m.
- Address: 2007 11th Avenue S, Birmingham, AL
Would you like to help Field Culture Compost? Sign up for their pick-up service. Also, don’t forget to visit #compostcoalition to find out who is composting.
Lettuce continues to compost bham.
Do you want to keep up to date on all things Birmingham? Follow us @bhamnow and sign up for our newsletter.